|Raw||-||3-5 Days||12 Months|
|Cooked||-||3-5 Days||12 Months|
The Shelf Life of Cauliflower:
Cauliflower belongs to the family of Brassicaceae. The shelf life of fresh and cooked cauliflower can vary. Cauliflower can stay fresh in the fridge for seven to twenty-one days. Cooked cauliflower remains fresh in the refrigerator for seven to ten days. Furthermore, you can freeze raw cauliflower for about one week.
When buying cauliflower from a grocery store, keep the following points in mind to buy fresh cauliflower with healthy benefits.
- Always look for a creamy white colored cauliflower.
- Cauliflower has a particular fragrance, so it’s good to sniff them. However, if the smell is too strong, then it means the cauliflower is not going to have a good taste.
- Another way to determine the cauliflower’s freshness is to have a good look at the leaves. If the leaves of the cauliflower are fresh, it means the cauliflower is also fresh.
- Avoid cauliflower whose heads are soft and brown.
- Different colors of cauliflower are available in the market, but they are not natural.
How to Store Cauliflower:
Whenever you buy cauliflower from a grocery store, it is wrapped in cellophane, which can absorb moisture. When you get home, unpack the cauliflower from its cellophane and store it in a loose plastic bag. This way, the cauliflower will stay fresh for a longer time. Another way to store the cauliflower is to cut it and place it in the fridge. It will stay fresh for about two weeks. When storing cauliflower, it is essential to keep in mind that you should put the head of the cauliflower facing down. This way, there won’t be any moisture or bad smell. Always look for air-tight, sealed containers for storing cauliflower.
How to Handle Cauliflower:
First of all, you have to wash the cauliflower before cooking or storing it. This is essential as it will remove all dust particles. One can quickly thaw frozen cauliflower just by taking it out of the freezer and then putting it into boiling water. Furthermore, you can roast frozen cauliflower. It will not only defrost them, but it will give them a better taste as well.
You can cook cauliflower in many different ways. You can boil, steam, roast, or even microwave it. You can prepare it according to your taste and the needs of your family and friends. The most important thing is that you don’t overcook the cauliflower. For microwaving cauliflower, you have to put a little bit of water in a dish and then put the cauliflower into it. Then, microwave it for five to seven minutes. On the other hand, steaming is an easy method; it also preserves the flavor and nutrients of the vegetable.